Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Harvest of Miracles

Note: Today's post is part of the monthly CW.com blog chain. Please visit the other great posts by other writers on the sidebar at the right. This month's topic is "harvest".

This year, like many other years, we planted a garden.

We started everything from seed this year, which was a first. The spring weather, however, was not all that promising. It was cold and rainy for weeks on end. We went ahead anyway and put everything in the ground, and went on vacation. During that vacation, the temperature warmed up but the rain didn't stop. In fact, one day the temperature jumped to 100 degrees. We thought for sure the garden would go into shock or be fried when we returned.

But it didn't. In fact, it turned out to be our best garden ever. We pulled in hundreds of cherry tomatoes, a dozen green peppers, a few dozen cucumbers, some snap peas, and some nice Beefsteak tomatoes. We even had sunflowers that grew over six feet tall. We canned salsa and spicy green tomatoes and gave produce to some relatives in need. What was amazing is that the warm weather continued past September and into the second week of October.

This past week I started to clear out the garden for winter, which meant uprooting both good plants and weeds, while adding some compost. For some odd reason, I thought of this verse in Matthew 13:30 (NKJV):
"Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.""
All of the plants in our garden got the same amount of water, attention, and Miracle-Gro. Yet, it took until September before the green peppers began to flourish and October before buds started appearing on the Brussels sprout plants. As I was clearing out some of the tomato plants, I found several that were growing more horizontal than vertical. Had I staked them properly, though, they would have been six feet tall!

As I looked over the plants and dropped them in the trash, I realized they all had responded to the Miracle-Gro in some way or another. Some were late to the party, while others created produce regardless of the weather. In short, they persisted in growing despite the circumstances.

Now if God does a miracle in your life, what do you do with it? Do you keep it to yourself, or worry about the response from people when you share what has happened? Do you think people will look at you like your some kind of nut if He healed you or changed your financial situation? Do you believe it when other people share what He has done in their lives or take a wait-and-see approach? Why do so many people hesitate to share a bona fide miracle in their lives?

I'm coming to realize more and more that much of this comes back to doubt...doubt whether God really is who He says He is, and whether He can back up His word with action. Or we don't think He can pull us through situations with difficult co-workers, family members, or even addiction. Or we've let the world reduce God and the Bible to nothing more than an intellectual argument. Or we've bought into the lie that spiritual gifts don't exist anymore and that all the prophecies in the Bible have been fufilled already. Or, maybe it's the whole persecution thing that hangs us up, despite every book in the New Testament having something to say about the subject.

I know what it is like to live in times of popularity (well, somewhat), as well as times of obscurity. I know what it is like to post an online comment and watch it soar like a rocket as well as posting comments that seem to make threads drop like a stone (lots of those!). I've taught Bible studies where lots of people routinely showed up, and grumbled during other ones where only a handful showed up because the topics were difficult. I've even read in multiple places about how blogging about either religion or politics is counterproductive, unless it is part of your "platform".

In the end, though, the obscurity won't matter. The number of times I've posted online won't matter. The count of individuals showing up for studies won't matter either, nor will it matter how many books I've written.

What will matter is if I watch my friends get tossed into the fire because I refused to speak up or share what God has done in my life with someone in need. In the end, when the gardener picks us all up by the roots and looks to see what we've done, I hope the "miracle grow" that was put into my life produces a bountiful harvest, imperfect as I am. I know I fail at this sometimes, but every day brings another chance to reach a little higher into the sky.

12 comments:

  1. There's a saying in some churches, "Bloom Where You're Planted." You witness to those immediately around you, unless the Lord calls you overseas. Then you've been transplanted to another place where you are to bloom.

    It should be interesting on Judgment Day to stand before the Throne and see how many we really did influence, and had no idea of the multitudes. Who knows how many folks your blog and mine reach, those who never comment?

    ~ VT

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true, just like the parable of the sower. Some seeds may sprout right up and be seen but others may wait a while to show and some you may never see but they are there. Keep on bringing these great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. What matters is if we're growing in the fruits of the spirit. Miracle grow takes on a whole new meaning. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from the blog chain. What a wonderful message of how God used you to plant a garden then reap the harvest not of only the produce but of faith to share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Michael! Amen! You challenged me today. Sometimes I'm guilty of doubt, wondering when I hear of healing if God performed a miracle or it was the result of excellent medical care or whether the person would have healed anyway. Sometimes I struggle with whether or not to pray for my own healing, for my kids healing? What if that's not God's plan? What if He says no? Will I still accept my injury and pain or will I resent His no? Hmmm...I guess it's fear...and maybe doubt.

    Thanks for making me think today, challenging me to take a deeper look at my heart. Guess I'm a little like those late brussel sprouts in your garden this year -- and a straggling bit of your harvest. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific post, Michael. What you said about believing God is who He says He is and can do what He says He can do, that is so timely - I'm teaching Beth Moore's "Believing God" study in our church's women's Sunday School class, and we just talked about this very topic.

    On a more personal level, I was downsized a week ago, so now I'm in a position of walking what I've been talking. So far, so good, but it's only been six days. How well will I hold up if my unemployment continues much longer? I'm praying I'll continue to be steadfast in trusting God to open the right door at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spectacular post! Such a great reminder as well to trust God in all of our endeavors. He will be faithful and asks so very little of us in return. Of course, what He DOES ask of us is obedience, which can oftentimes be the most challenging of requests. In the end, like your garden, we grow and bloom and touch myriad of people around us... all because we said 'ok. i'll do that', be it humbly or with a grumble, and did what God asked of us. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great analogy. god made each of us individuals and we should stop comparing our journey to that of another. Peppers and peas aren't supposed to be the same!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got a great take on Matthew and I enjoyed hearing about your garden, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the comments!

    @Victor: I wonder that, too, sometimes about who reads what we write. I guess we'll never know this side of heaven...

    @Cindee: I think I have to challenge myself all the time in this area.

    @Traci B: Sorry for your loss. Hope you find something new soon.

    @Tracy: We would have even had pumpkins this year...but they got chomped on by some slugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep sowing seed like this, bro. You done good.

    ReplyDelete